Program Requirements
    • Vacation rental must be located in Big Bear Lake (92315 zip code). Please feel free to contact the City of Big Bear Lake to verify the location of your property if needed.

Business License: Click on the "Finance" department, and select the payment item titled "Business License-New". You will be asked to type the business name and the $74 fee.

Vacation Rental Registration Application: Click on the "Community Services/Code" department, and select the payment item titled "Transient Private Home Rental Application". You will be asked to type the address of your rental property, and the $550 fee should auto-populate.

    • Pass a Home Inspection. Once the City receives your application, you will be required to pass a home inspection. You will be contacted by an inspector to schedule your home inspection once your application is fully processed by staff. Please note: If you do not pass your first inspection, you will be given a set amount of time to complete any needed corrections. A second inspection can be made by contacting Sara Lopez at (909) 866-5831 ext. 116. Click here to download the Rental Inspection Form. Please be advised, the registration and inspection process can take 2-4 weeks to complete. You are NOT allowed to rent your home during this period.
    • In-Person Check-In Agent and a 24/7 Compliant Response Agent. Click here to download the In-person and 24/7 Response Agent Policy. These agents must successfully complete the tests below to become certified. Following successful completion of each examination, the Agent will be contacted by City Staff and directed to complete an Affidavit to be submitted/signed in-person at Big Bear Lake City Hall or accompanied with a Notary Acknowledgment and forwarded to the City’s Code Department at which time they will receive their certificate. The training video and links to the exams are below. Click here to download: 24/7 response agent affidavit & in-person check-in affidavit

 24/7 Response Agent Training Video    Check-In Person Training Video

In-Person Check-In Agent Exam   24/7 Complaint Agent Exam

    • Remit Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) On a Quarterly Basis. You are required to collect and remit 11% of your gross receipts quarterly. You will be mailed the quarterly reporting form about 1 month prior to the due date. For questions regarding taxes and the remittance forms, please contact Laura Knotts at (909) 866-5831 ext. 114. Click here for more information regarding TOT and TBID.
 Active Vacation Rental Listing 
Below is a list of active and approved vacation rental homes in Big Bear Lake. Please note, this list changes frequently and will be updated when needed. To search the document, click Ctr. & F. If you have any questions regarding this list, please contact Sara Lopez at (909) 866-5831 ext. 116.
Vacation Rental Listing - Updated 7.23.21

Frequently Asked Questions (Urgency Ordinance No. 2021-488)

What is the reasoning behind this urgency ordinance?
The intent of the ordinance is to set forth clear and concise regulations on the temporary rental of homes in Big Bear Lake. Essentially, we want a vacation rental program that allows for the occasional rental of homes when homeowners are not able to use their property, so long as guests are respectful to their neighbors and our community. We want to avoid a situation that allows investor-owners and corporations to turn single-family residences into rooming houses, dormitories, hostels, and party houses by installing multiple bunk beds and sleeper sofas to maximize occupancy and pave their entire yard to become a parking lot. A vacation rental should look, feel, and sound just like a typical residence in a quiet residential neighborhood. A person driving through our neighborhoods should not be able to distinguish between a property that is in our vacation rental program from one where an owner lives full-time. Finally, the ordinance attempts to level the playing field for vacation rental owners by providing severe consequences for non-compliance. It provides staff the ability to enforce the rules without relying upon neighbors to report issues and agents to resolve them. The new regulations create a system in which the best (and least costly) way for owners to operate is by choosing only the best guests, monitoring properties proactively, and removing problem guests immediately.
What number do I use for my “license number” to post in my online listing?
We will be launching a new online licensing program in February. That system will generate a license number for each unit. This is the number that will need to be in all listings and ads. This helps us quickly identify those properties that are not legal. Until you renew and receive the license number, you can use the application number on your inspection form, business license number, or TOT account number.
My property is owned by a corporation will I be able to register or renew?
The new regulations restrict which types of owners can hold a vacation rental license. S-corporations and C-corporations cannot hold a license. Family trusts and LLCs comprised fully of natural persons may hold a license. Any new applications from corporations will be denied. Renewals from existing corporations will be granted, but the ownership issue must be resolved before their 2022 renewal application.
How does the new definition of bedroom affect my maximum occupancy?
The new ordinance uses the Building Code’s definition for bedroom. We will rely upon the County Assessor’s Record to determine the amount of living space and number of bedrooms. Lofts, dens, living rooms, offices, etc. are not classified as bedrooms in these records because they were not constructed to meet the requirements for a bedroom. The number of bedrooms determines the maximum number of adults (2 per bedroom). However, the minimum area of living space per person is 200sf/person. For example, a 1000sf, 2-bedroom cabin would have a maximum occupancy of 4 adults and 1 child, for a total of 5. Guests could have a combination of 2 adults and 3 children, but they could not have 5 adults.
What are the parking requirements?
The Development Code establishes a parking minimum for vacation rentals, just like other land use categories. The requirement is 1 parking space per bedroom. A parking space is defined as inside a garage or on a driveway. Parking is not permitted on the street, in the yard, or on unpaved surfaces. There is no prescribed maximum number of cars, but you are limited to those that can fit on legal parking spaces. All parking associated with the vacation rental must be on the property 24/7. This includes the vehicles of daytime guests (post-COVID) and boat trailers. Again – NO PARKING on the street 24/7. If the minimum off-street parking requirement cannot be met, occupancy will be reduced accordingly.
How do owners become “certified” by the City?
We will utilize the same system that we currently use for agents. Beginning 4/1/21, as part of the application and renewal process, owners will be required to submit the printed certificate provided after passing the online tests. This seems to make the most sense, rather than creating a new certification system now and then potentially needing to change it a couple of months from now when the permanent ordinance is approved. Owners need to pass both tests.
Is in-person registration required?
Yes – even during COVID. Please perform these with proper safety protocols in place. Take these opportunities to verbally explain the serious and costly consequences that will result from non-compliance.
What other changes can we expect in the coming months?
The 866-CODE hotline is now being answered by City Staff. We are also responding personally to every concern to validate and resolve. We will be launching a new online and mobile app citizen reporting system in early February. We will also be launching a new online vacation rental application process and an online TOT payment system later in February. By the end of March, we will have an online application process for Business Licenses. We also want to host regular meetings with agents and owners to discuss current issues and brainstorm solutions. Regular emails will also continue to keep you informed of the latest developments.


Email Program Coordinator

Main Office:
Phone: (909) 866-5831 x 116
Fax: (909) 866-7511

Office Hours
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Physical Address
39707 Big Bear Boulevard
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315

Mailing Address
City of Big Bear Lake
PO Box 10000
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315