- Vacation rental must be located in Big Bear Lake (92315 zip code). Please feel free to contact the City of Big Bear Lake to verify the location of your property if needed.
- Submit payment ($74 fee for the Business License & $235 for the Vacation Rental Permit). Click here to make a payment.
Business License: Click on the "Finance" department, and select the payment item titled "Business License-New". You will be asked to type the business name and the $74 fee.
Vacation Rental Registration Application: Click on the "Community Services/Code" department, and select the payment item titled "Transient Private Home Rental Application". You will be asked to type the address of your rental property, and the $235 fee should auto-populate.
- Pass a Home Inspection. Once the City receives your application, you will be required to pass a home inspection. You will be contacted by an inspector to schedule your home inspection once your application is fully processed by staff. Please note: If you do not pass your first inspection, you will be given a set amount of time to complete any needed corrections. A second inspection can be made by contacting Sara Lopez at (909) 866-5831 ext. 116. Click here to download the Rental Inspection Form. Please be advised, the registration and inspection process can take 2-4 weeks to complete. You are NOT allowed to rent your home during this period.
- In-Person Check-In Agent and a 24/7 Compliant Response Agent. Click here to download the In-person and 24/7 Response Agent Policy. These agents must successfully complete the tests below to become certified. Following successful completion of each examination, the Agent will be contacted by City Staff and directed to complete an Affidavit to be submitted/signed in-person at Big Bear Lake City Hall or accompanied with a Notary Acknowledgment and forwarded to the City’s Code Department at which time they will receive their certificate. The training video and links to the exams are below. Click here to download: 24/7 response agent affidavit & in-person check-in affidavit
- Remit Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) On a Quarterly Basis. You are required to collect and remit 11% of your gross receipts quarterly. You will be mailed the quarterly reporting form about 1 month prior to the due date. For questions regarding taxes and the remittance forms, please contact Laura Knotts at (909) 866-5831 ext. 114. Click here for more information regarding TOT and TBID.
Frequently Asked Questions (Urgency Ordinance No. 2021-488)
Phone: (909) 866-5831 x 116
Fax: (909) 866-7511
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
39707 Big Bear Boulevard
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315
City of Big Bear Lake
PO Box 10000
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315