To become a world-class mountain resort community, while preserving our small-town atmosphere and charm, where the appearance and quality of the built environment matches the exceptional appearance and quality of our natural environment.
To sustain a high quality of life for our community members, while promoting a vibrant local economy that welcomes respectful visitors, in order to foster a kind and caring community of people who value and enjoy our beautiful natural environment.
1. The City recognizes that, ultimately, we all seek a sense of belonging, and strives to achieve a strong sense of community in Big Bear Lake where our residents and visitors can live an enjoyable life, develop meaningful relationships, build lasting memories, and reach personal fulfillment.
2. The City values the unique contributions of all who have chosen Big Bear Lake, including our residents, second homeowners, businesses, and visitors, and recognizes that all groups are essential to our collective success as a community.
3. The residents of our community are fortunate to enjoy this special place year-round, and are entitled to a peaceful and enjoyable existence. As such, the City prioritizes the need to manage and balance the impacts of visitors on our community to ensure a high residential quality of life.
4. The City embraces its status and good fortune as an attractive destination for visitors, and welcomes respectful and responsible visitors to enjoy our plentiful outdoor recreational opportunities and peaceful alpine retreat.
5. The City recognizes that our unique and beautiful natural environment is the reason our residents and visitors have chosen Big Bear Lake, and the City is committed to preserving our environmental quality, sustaining our environment over the long-term, and protecting our community from wildfire and other threats.
6. The City places special value on its small-town atmosphere and charm, and the preservation of these attributes is critical to its future success.
7. Everyone is entitled to enjoy this unique and special natural environment, provided they afford it the proper care and respect it deserves, and the City will strive to provide high-quality opportunities for everyone to enjoy Big Bear Lake.
8. Aesthetic quality is essential to achieving a strong sense of place and fostering respect for our community, and the City will invest and regulate appropriately to promote a high-quality, clean, and well-maintained built environment.
9. The City will promote the availability of workforce housing in our community to ensure that a quality labor pool is available to provide necessary private sector goods and services for our residents and visitors.
10. The City will operate in a responsive, transparent, and caring manner, clearly focused on the needs and success of all community stakeholder groups.
11. The City places a priority on public education and awareness, values input from all community stakeholder groups, and will engage the community in all significant policies and decisions.