The latest news and information |READ MORE


The Engineering Division is charged with the task of safeguarding life, health, property, and public welfare through review, design, bid, and construction of public improvement projects constructed on City property and within the City’s right-of-way. Other functions include solid waste management, NPDES, approving parcel and tract maps and various land survey documents, establishing City standards, interfacing with outside agencies, and performing special studies.


Capital Improvement Program

The Engineering Division is responsible for the implementation of the City’s adopted five-year Capital Improvement Program (CIP), which consists of a variety of projects to construct, maintain, repair, and rehabilitate the City’s infrastructure and identifies future street improvement projects. The City's five-year CIP is based on the City's Pavement Management Plan and is consistent with the City's General Plan Circulation Element.

NPDES/Stormwater Quality Management

Information for Businesses

In 1972 the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, also referred to as the Clean Water Act, was amended to provide that the discharge of pollutants to the waters of the United States from any point source is effectively prohibited unless the discharge is in compliance with a National

Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. The City of Big Bear Lake along with 15 other cities, the San Bernardino County Flood Control District (District), and the County of San Bernardino (County), are co-permittees on an area wide NPDES permit for the Santa Ana River watershed. To comply with the permit the City is required to inspect certain businesses annually to ensure effective implementation with Best Management Practices (BMP’s) to reduce the likelihood of pollutants entering the storm drain system. In addition, the City conducts FOG (Fats, Oils, and Grease) Inspections to prevent FOG from clogging the sewer system.

Construction Projects

Do I need a WQMP as part of my redevelopment or new development project? Please contact the Engineering Department for more information:

NPDES additional information can be found here --> NPDES Information

Land Division Approvals

Lot Line Adjustments, Lot Mergers, Final Parcel Maps, Final Tract Maps, Certificates of Compliance, and Offers of Dedication are processed through the Engineering Division. Applications and the process for each are found below.

Working in the City Right-of-Way

There are two different types of permits that the Engineering department issues:

Encroachment Permits

Driveway approach, street cut (utility and private), temporary (or permanent) placement of objects in the ROW

If you are planning on performing work in the City ROW please fill out the application, and email it to the Engineering Division

Sanitary Sewer System

New Connection and Reinspection/Demo- contact the Engineering Division for the application. Any work on the City Sewer system needs to be performed by one of City Approved Contractors

Sewer Fees are updated every Fiscal Year (July 1)- the most recent schedule can be found here




Email Engineering

Main Office:
Phone: (909) 866-5831 x 142
Fax: (909) 866-7511

Office Hours
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Physical Address
39707 Big Bear Boulevard
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315

Mailing Address
City of Big Bear Lake
PO Box 10000
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315



Standard Grading Notes

Sewer Master Plan

Sewer Connection Fees

Drainage Master Plan