The City of Big Bear Lake is committed to attracting viable businesses and expanding the current business community by providing an easy and simple licensing process.

Business License applications are processed through the Finance Department. Applications can be submitted for a new business or transfer of ownership of an existing business. Finance staff then checks with the Planning Division for verification of conformance with the land use provisions of the City’s Development Code. In addition, under the City’s ‘One-Stop Permit Center’, the Building and Safety Division is responsible for performing business license inspections to ensure compliance with state & local building and fire code requirements.

First Things First

Check the zoning of the property to be sure your proposed business is allowed at that location.
Check to be sure there are no pre-existing code violations for the proposed location which will need to be corrected before a business license can be issued.
Assistance is available at the Public Counter (no appointment is necessary) or you may call the Building & Safety Division directly at (909) 866-5831.
Reference Municipal Code Section 5.02.070 for exemptions regarding business licenses.

Plan Ahead

Applications are available at the City Reception Desk. Planning ahead early will save you time throughout the application process. Allow two to four weeks for the processing of your application. Within two weeks of submitting your application, City staff will contact you to arrange a site visit.

Fee Schedule

  • $228 (business located within City limits)
  • $232 (home-based business within City limits)
  • $71 (business located outside City limits)

City Code does not allow for a proration of these fees.

Home-Based Businesses

If you are considering a home-based business, please keep in mind that not all businesses are allowed to operate out of a home. You must complete an Application for Home Occupation Permit (pdf file) if you plan to operate a business out of your residence. Additional forms may be required depending on the nature of your proposed business. Some business activities, such as bingo, dances, massage technician practice, etc. are considered under “Special Permits."

Helpful Hints

  • Does your business need a Health Certificate from the County of San Bernardino? If so, call the County Department of Public Health at (909) 866-0177.
  • Have you filed a Ficticious Business Name Statement with the County of San Bernardino? For more information, call (909) 387-8306.
  • A Resale Number must be obtained prior to issuance of a business license for those businesses involved in sales transactions. Contact the State Board of Equalization at (909) 680-6400.
  • A liquor license must be obtained for those establishments which will be selling alcoholic beverages. Contact the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control at (951) 782-4400.

Search Our Site